Monday, October 3, 2011

Grommet Bag Completed!


Quite a while ago I made a Grommet Bag for my mother for mother's day. Of course, I couldn't post about it until it made it all the way to Australia and she had opened it. By the time this happened I completely forgot about it. But here it is!

The pattern I used only needed 4 pieces of 20"x18" material (2 for the outside, 2 for the inside) for the main part, 2 strips of 5" of 32" fabric for the straps, 2 pieces of 5"x5" for the phone pocket and 2 pieces of 20"x14" for the inside pockets. The outside pocket is mostly decorative and is made out of 2 fat quarters of of contrasting fabric with a big button. You also need 8 grommets.

The wadding was supposed to be 4 pieces of 20"x18" for the main part, 2 strips of 2 1/4" for the inside of the strap, 1 piece of 9"x10" for inside the front pocket, 1 piece of 5"x5" for the phone pocket and 2 pieces of 7"x20" for the inside pocket.

There's a similar pattern for a grommet bag using 5" charm squares at the Moda Bake Shop.


You can make the pockets to whatever size you what. Just measure whatever you want them for and sew the seams accordingly.

One thing I strongly suggest is that you just use a thin cotton for the wadding. I was forced to use polyester and it's just a nightmare to work with. I ended up only using it for the main part and the straps and I used interfacing for the rest of it so that it wasn't so bulky.

Mum loved the bag. I loved it too and plan to make another for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment